Every profession requires an impressive resume, but as creators, we need to develop a portfolio of our work for potential employers/commissioners/etc. If you are an artist, you have probably compiled a portfolio of your drawings and paintings. If you are a writer, you probably have a portfolio of stories and samples. If you are a musician, you probably have a demo recording. That’s all good!
Now, make it accessible to anyone.
An online portfolio has a few benefits:
1. It fits in any bag. A business card with the URL of your online portfolio is all you need to carry.
2. Anyone can stumble upon it. Someone seeking your craft is able to find you.
So how do you make an online portfolio? Either use your personal website, or start a blog! Don’t have either? Let me help.
Creating Your Online Portfolio
First, choose a blogging platform. I use WordPress, but it’s completely your choice and preference! You can either start a free blog with WordPress.com or do a self-hosted site using WordPress.org. I recommend starting with the free blog and buying your own domain name first, and then work towards a self-hosted site when you feel like making the switch.
In it’s simplest form, your blog/site only needs to house 4 pages:
1. Your homepage, which can be your blog or a static homepage that you create yourself to your liking.
2. An “About Me” page, to tell your readers who you are and what you do. A picture is good too!
3. Your portfolio
4. A contact page, so people can get in touch!
Some other things you may consider doing are uploading a resume, adding a page or a link to where readers can purchase your work, and a page of performance/showcase dates.
Most importantly, this portfolio should be representative of YOU.
Design it so has your personal flavor, write the way you speak, and treat your readers as if you were speaking to them in person. And of course, show off your craft!
Extra Tip: Consider having your online portfolio reproduced in a hard copy. Having your portfolio published would also be a smart move so you can show your work at any job fairs or job interviews. Companies like LuLu can take care of this task an provide quality and professional printing.
About My Site
If you are wondering about the design and operation of this website, I recommend the following products:
- WordPress.org – Self-hosted WordPress blogs and websites. Extremely user friendly and perfect for beginner content management.
- Elegant Themes – Website themes designed specifically for WordPress websites. I use the Chameleon theme and modify it to my personal liking. All of the themes are designed to be highly customizable to best suit your site.
Did you create a portfolio? Do you already have an online portfolio? Share the link in the comments section!